Monday, July 29, 2013

Music Edition: RIP Kidd Kraddick

Today's post is a very emotional one for me and is very different from my normal music edition posts. As I write this I have just finished listening to Kidd Kraddick in the Morning... for the first time without Kidd.

On Saturday, David "Kidd" Kraddick died in New Orleans at a charity golf event for his Kidd's Kidds foundation. I was at an engagement party celebrating when I heard the news. I was devastated. It's crazy how quickly we can go from one emotion to the another one so drastically different...

This morning Kellie, Big Al Mack, J-Si, Jenna, and Psycho Shannon all shared stories about Kidd and took a few calls from listeners who shared their stories as well. Now I'd like to share mine with you.

I moved to Dallas when I was in 2nd grade at the age of 7. From the start I listened to Kidd Kraddick in the Morning in the car with my mom on the way to school. Over the years I continued this traditional as we moved from city to city within the Dallas area. I even got to meet Kidd and Al once when I was around 10 years old. When I got my first car at 16 I continued to listened in on my own. Even when I went off to college in Baton Rouge, LA I was about to listen to the show because it is syndicated on one of the local stations there. I didn't listen as much during college since my commute was a little different. But, my last semester I had an internship and was so thrilled to be able to listen in again almost every morning. I would get so aggravated if I got in the car and there was one of those long commercial breaks and then a song that lasted my whole commute. I would get to work and turn it on at my desk computer for the live stream. In the past few years I hadn't been able to listen much at all, mainly because I don't have a commute anymore and don't wake up as early as the show is on. But, regardless am so honored to have been able to listen for as long as I have. 

The show has been a part of my life for almost 20 years. That's a long time. My childhood was spent listening to Kidd, Kellie, and Big Al. I feel like I know them. They were a part of my family. A part of my upbringing. A huge part of my life.

Kidd was such a great man. He did so much for unknown artists and most importantly his Kidd's Kidd charity for terminally ill children. I remember crying in the car in the morning listening to the stories about these kids that he helped and cared so much for. He's with them now and that alone makes me smile.

I'll truly miss listening to him. It was always such a joy to hear his voice and made waking up so damn early a little bit more enjoyable for me. Dallas has lost a real hero.

Thank you for everything Kidd, you really are a true role model. My heart goes out to your family and friends and all the listeners who love you just like I do. And as you would say, I'll say it one last time, "Keep looking up, cuz that's where it all is."

If you didn't know anything about Kidd or just want to see him in his true element check out this hilarious bit he did on the show a couple years ago. One of my best friends, who I listened to the show a lot with growing up, posted it on Facebook earlier today. It's just one of many bits Kidd did that made me laugh until I cried...

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-43004570-1