Friday, May 8, 2015

Travel Recap: New Orleans + New York City + Boston

New Orleans

First stop on my travels was NOLA. I went in town to go to Jazz Fest and visit my dad. One of those things happened, the other didn't. I was able to hang with my dad for the weekend but Jazz Fest ended up being a no go. I was all ready to go and it started POURING down rain. Not just a little. A lot. So, I waited and waited and then I decided to stop waiting and go eat lunch instead. I was pretty bummed but I ended up meeting up with a friend later that day and we went to see Father John Misty at the Civic Theatre, which was such a cool venue, and J Tillman is so great. Amazing performer and musician. So, even though the weekend didn't really turn out the way I thought it would it still ended up being a really great time spent with family and friends. And I stayed dry in the process.

 
New York City

Where do I start with New York... I'll take you through by day.

Day 1: We got in early. Our flight left at 5:30am... As soon as we got there we went out and spent the afternoon in Bryant Park having lunch and drinking champagne. That evening we went to 230 5th roof top bar which overlooks the Empire State Building and has other really beautiful views of the city. It was very chilly so we got these cute red robes. I felt like I was in a Santa suit and I liked it.

Day 2: I had to work on Tuesday so I decided to head to Lincoln Center for a better view. Good choice. It was really beautiful and I actually found a quiet place to work. That evening we walked the High Line then went to this Italian market called Eataly which was by far my favorite part of the trip. I highly recommend checking it out if you're ever in the city. There is a meat and cheese restaurant, a pasta restaurant, an Italian grocery store and a roof top bar. I love that about NYC. There are so many unique places to go hang out that you don't get anywhere else.

Day 3: Wednesday I also had to work, so afterward we went and walked the Brooklyn bridge at sunset. It was really beautiful and we ran into two of my favorite celebrities from Parenthood, Jason Ritter and Mae Whitman. Just walking across the bridge, chatting. Jason and I definitely made eye contact. Swoon. Anywayyyy, on the Brooklyn side of the bridge we had dinner at Juliana's Pizza... delicious. Then headed to The Chocolate Room for some dessert. I ate so much on this trip and I'm so not mad about it.

Overall: I love NY. I had such a great time hanging out with my cousins, the weather was chilly but sunny and beautiful. We drank lots of wine, ate lots of cheese, and had such meaningful conversation. We all got to know each other better and even got to know ourselves a little better in the process.

Boston

Day 1: We took the train from NYC to Boston which was actually a highlight of the trip for me. I loved it. The seats were roomy, the weather was really nice and we rode through Connecticut and Rhode Island. The scenery was gorgeous. Once we arrived we grabbed some lunch (and some drinks, obviously) then we headed to the park. I was so amazed by all the flowers and blooms everywhere. It's like real Spring, y'all. Which we surely aren't used to in Texas. It was really gorgeous. And Boston is so clean. The park and the water, all so well-kept. I was super impressed.

Day 2: We got a late start on day 2. We needed it. On the go all day and up late nights having a good time. I was so grateful to sleep in! We went out to lunch at Top of the Hub which has great views overlooking Boston. That evening we had our Boston trip highlight- the Yankees vs. Red Sox game. WHAAAA? Yeah, it was awesome. Such a cool experience being inside of Fenway Park for "the greatest rivalry in baseball." The Red Sox didn't win but the fans were still in high spirits. We were also pretty hyped from the game so we decided we wanted to go out dancing. Ended up at a bar across from the park and our dance mission was definitely accomplished.

Day 3: We went to Harvard! I never thought I'd go walk on the Harvard campus, but I did. It was really beautiful and I swear I felt a little smarter after we left ;) Then we went on a duck tour. I really wanted to learn more about the city since Boston played such a huge role in American history. The tour was great. I mean, we were driven on this bus into the water! It was strange and awesome all at the same time. That evening we went out to Legal Seafood for lobster. I mean, com'n, I had to get lobster. It was delicious. And at this point I probably don't even need to say it but I will anyway... We also had wine. So. Much. Wine.

Day 4: The last day of our trip! We had brunch at Met Bar. I had eggs benedict per usual (that's my go-to brunch meal) and a couple mimosas before we had to hit it to the airport. Then back home we flew.

Overall: I really enjoyed Boston. I had no idea it was actually kind of small. Through my experience with living in Austin, I can definitely appreciate a smaller city. I feel most comfortable somewhere smaller. More manageable and less overwhelming than NYC. I could never see myself living in Boston but I definitely would love to visit again. The people were super friendly and the city was extremely charming.

Whew, what a trip. And like I mentioned in my last post I'm still out of town. But it's a work trip so I won't bore you with the details. I'll be home soon though! I love to travel but it'll be really nice to get home and settle down for a little bit before my next adventure in June. More to come on that soon!

All photos from my instagram @pieceology

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-43004570-1