Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Less is more... Or is it?

Urban Outfitters Dress (on sale), Lotta from Stockholm Clogs, Brixton Hat, Vintage Coach Backpack

I'm not sure if you've noticed yet but I tend to like wearing perforated dresses with slips under them (see this cute dress over a dress look from a recent post). I find them more special and interesting than just wearing a regular dress since they have an extra layered element going on. Bonus- I still get to feel creative with my clothes by "layering" this way in the heat of summer. I know a lot of my outfits may seem a little more "complicated" but that's the way I like it. IMO, the fun thing about putting an outfit together is making it as uniquely me as possible.

This mindset of mine reminds me of a discussion I had with my girlfriends at our first book club gathering the other day to discuss The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. I'll be honest, most of us didn't finish the book (including me) but we still got together for some wine and conversation anyway because we're always a "Yes, please." to wine and friends and chats. Our discussion began by actually talking about what each of us thought about whatever amount of the book we read. But, after several glasses of vino we somehow all ended up choosing our "spirit crystal" from my friend Emma's book, The Crystal Bible by Judy Hall. Mine is Sunstone, btw. Who knows how we got there but I swear we talked about the book a little. One of the biggest takeaways Kondo wrote about was her KonMari Method. The method teaches one to look at an item that they own and ask themselves if it brings them joy. If it does not, get rid of it.

Before this post turns into a review about a book I didn't even finish, let me just say although I do agree with this basic idea of discarding things that don't make you happy, I am also a person who enjoys having "more" in my life. With that said, just because I like more doesn't mean I'm not a tidy person. Tidiness is one thing that really helps me manage my anxiety. My home is always VERY tidy. So for these reasons, among others, I found it difficult to relate to the book. Basically, I'm always going to be the girl who wears the dress over the dress with "too much" jewelry adorning her fingers, wrists and neck. And yes, I'll add a hat and some fancy kicks plus a mini backpack to top it all off. That's just my jam and it totally brings me all the joys.

Photos by Chelsea Laine Francis

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-43004570-1