Friday, September 4, 2015

Sites of Santorini: Sailing to Oia

Photos by me

OK, so I'm dying a little bit inside because I'm not in Santorini anymore. These photos. I mean. So gorgeous.

On one of our days there my mom and I took a catamaran tour all the way from the southern tip of the island over to the northern tip where we ended in the famous village of Oia. The tour was amazing. It's $100/person and is worth EVERY penny. The host (who happened to live in Texas for seven years!) was friendly, entertaining and informative. The crew was professional, but also funny and excited to be there with us. And the chef made the most fantastic traditional seven course Greek meal that we ate while sailing along the Aegean Sea. If you are ever in Santorini, look up Captain Ted's Sailing Tours. We were on the Dreamcatcher. Such a blast.

Once the tour ended, instead of heading back to our hotel in Kamari, we stayed in Oia and did some shopping, exploring and then found a spot to watch the sunset. Of course, my camera battery died before the sun actually set so that's why there is no photo of it. I guess you'll just have to go and see it for yourself! I recommend going at least an hour early to get a spot. Thousands of people line up everyday to see this iconic sunset (especially in the peak months of July and August). We found a restaurant called Sunsets Cafe (recommended), with a cute waiter (required), and posted up to just relax with food and drinks for a few hours before and even made friends with the nicest Australia couple who we ended up going out to dinner with on another night as well. One of my favorite things about this trip, besides witnessing some of the most beautiful landscapes I've ever seen, is all the new friends I've made along the way!

So, 1) take a sailing tour, 2) watch the sunset in Oia, and 3) make new friends! I have lots more photos and recommendations to share from Santorini next week. Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-43004570-1