Tuesday, August 11, 2015

European Vacation 2015: Life Lately

all images from my instagram (@pieceology)

Hi there! Sorry for the big photo dump but I've taken so many photos here already and I wanted to share them with you. These are all images from my instagram which I update a lot more often than my blog so if you want to follow along in real time go follow me over there @pieceology.

Anyway, let's see... It's been a bit of a whirlwind and I haven't had much time to think or write so I'm not sure where to begin so I guess I'll just start from the beginning. When I first arrived in Florence from Austin I only had a couple days to spend here. I stayed with a friend and she took me around to see some of the major things such as the Duomo (pictured above) which is one of the most beautiful buildings I've ever seen. We biked around which was so fun for me. I'm definitely going to start biking when I get back to Austin. Then, shortly after my arrival I went off to the Cinque Terre to participate in a creative workshop hosted by the lovely Justina Blakeney. I have a ton of photos I took on my DSLR from Cinque Terre but I haven't had much time to edit them. Once I get a chance I will be posting those to the blog and chatting more about what I learned during the workshop, so stay tuned for that.

Ok, so what was next after Cinque?? Ah yes, I arrived back in Florence and I had to work straight away (my train got back at 11am and I had to work at 1pm!) so I wasn't able to do much exploring that day. I have to say, it's been challenging working here. I knew it would be but I wasn't sure really how I'd feel about it until I was here. My schedule is from 1-9:30pm so I am inside most of the day. I've been trying to wake up early to go see the sites but some night I accidentally (whoops) end up staying out late since nothing closes here until after 2am and you really don't realize what time it is! I did get to go to the leather market and buy a beautiful new purse that I'm sure I'll be featuring here on the blog in the near future. I also went to Mercato Centrale for lunch a few days ago which I can only best describe as a big Whole Foods but much more... European. So not too much sightseeing so far but I do have a lot of things planned for when my mom gets here this weekend before we head off to Greece. Oh, and did I mention I'm staying right by the Basilica di Santa Croce?? So I get to walk past that beautiful church pretty much everyday.

Other than exploring in Florence, we did go to the beach in Viareggio this past weekend which is about 1.5 hours way. It was kind of amazing. I've never been to a beach with mountains that you can ski on in the winter just right there in the background. Crazy. I've also ended up making friends with some Italians so I've been going out to the "local" bars and having dinners with them, just listening to them all speak in Italian not really knowing what they're saying but it's been pretty interesting trying to understand their language. They say that's the way you learn best, right?! All in all it's been an adjustment but I'm up for the challenge. And honestly, everyday just keeps getting better and better over here :)

That's all for now. Talk soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-43004570-1