Wednesday, September 23, 2015

#SisterhoodXMarfa: Creative Ladies Road Trip Across Texas

 Images via #sisterhoodxmarfa

Let's discuss Marfa, shall we? What happens when you put six women in a Chevy Tahoe with A LOT of luggage, A LOT of snacks, and have them drive seven hours across the state of Texas? Well, first of all, lots of laughter and excitement, but also moments of anxiety and even tension. We are a bunch of ladies in a small confined space, cut us some slack OK?! But, damn y'all, it was fun. Unlike any other trip I've ever been on. I've never gone on a vacation where the intent was to hang with creative friends, bounce ideas off each other, take lots of photos and do all the "silly things" I like to do with other people who like to do the same "silly things" as me.

I've been thinking about friendship a lot in the last couple weeks since I've been back from Europe. I am super lucky to have an amazing group of friends who are all so different from one another which I think is a huge reason why we all work so well as a unit. Y'all know who you are (and thank you for reading my blog Annie, Michelle, Laura, etc, etc). But, for a long time I've been searching for a group of friends who share my same passions. I can now say that I have found that group... the group I went to Marfa with. Yes, of course we are also all very different but we share a special common ground. We are working toward the same goals. We are bloggers, makers, small business owners, photographers and super stylish, badass bishes (yes, I'm old and I know people don't say "bishes" anymore)! Each women is so inspiring to me and I am a better, happier person because of them. I love each of you and I am so happy that after a long weekend away we are all back in the same city and get to hang out even more!

I know this post is already pretty sappy, but here's just a little more sap for ya. This last year has been one of the roughest years of my life. Maybe the roughest yet. I started seeing my therapist almost one year ago to this date. I've talked about that decision before and how I felt so low at the time that I didn't know what else to do. The journey from then to now has been all over the place and at times it felt like this last year went on for an eternity. But here I am, one full year later and I'm so freakin' proud of myself. I've done so many things that the younger April would have honestly probably laughed at (I was kind of an asshole growing up). I started therapy, I vowed to travel more, I planned a solo trip to Europe then went on that trip for six weeks, I reached out to new friends (like Chelsea and Nicole), I dedicated more time to this blog, I got to know myself, I stood up for my feelings and followed my heart. And there are some other things I'm in the process of doing that I can't talk about just yet, but they are big, huge, scary, awesome things that I thought I'd never do. But I'm doin' 'em! 

So thank you Chelsea, Katie, Nicole, Pei and Stephanie, my Marfa ladies. Thank you for playing a huge part in pulling me out of a dark place. Thank you for being my friends, my cheerleaders, my confidants and thank you for being my sisters. Without y'all I don't know if I would have found the confidence to be doing all the things I'm doing now. Y'all are all rockstars and I am so excited to watch you continue to kill it individually but I'm also so stoked to grow in life together!

No comments:

Post a Comment

UA-43004570-1